Saturday, April 15, 2006

week, end.

On tuesday night, when Mike and Kate were here, a group of BTS students had a big party. Oh, excuse me, I mean a "Mega"party, as I was assured the entire week beforehand. It was a combination birthday, end-of-year party - mixed drinks and all.

Parties here are just like college parties in the US. Just like, but not quite as trashy and nobody does keg stands. There's more jumping around here, so I guess it evens out. Near the end of the evening, I found Katie talking to a guy about Supertramp at one end of the house, and Mike playing caps at the other end. I'd say that's successful all around.


On wednesday morning, I had my final class with my favorite BTS class. We did a little going-away party, with snacks and juice. I, apparently, wore a red motorcycle helmet.

At the beginning of class, Bernard suggested that I say something to the class. Once I began, talking about how this has been one of the beset years of my life, how they have been so welcoming and kind to me, and I saw all of their lovely faces staring back at me, I just started to cry. I couldn't help it - not only am I sad to leave, I'm just so incredibly thankful to all of them for taking me in as their friend this whole year.

That afternoon, the drizzle let up long enough for us to walk around a bit outside. We went to the big cemetery in town. Mike and Katie enjoyed themselves a surprising amount. I think we'll have to say that them doing the "Thriller" dance here wasn't exactly dancing on anyone's grave, since we


Oh, and Katie found a bone.

Don't believe it? Take a look. It's big.

Human-like.


During the evenings, since it was chilly and raining, we spent a lot of time playing cards. Why don't people do that as much anymore - spend their evenings with friends playing board games and cards? When I come back to chicago, I'd like to start a Max Fisher-esque card gaming club. Who wants to joing in?




Speaking of looking for volunteers, I have a whole stack of letters from French kids that are dying to get a response. In my classes on friday, with younger kids, I had each of them write a letter to an american. To you, perhaps. I told them that I'd pass out these letters, and that they'd get a response some time this summer. Who wants one? It's not necessary to maintain a lifelong correspondence, but it will really make a kid's day here, if they get a real hand-written letter from someone in the U.S. If you aren't in Chicago, I can mail a few to you, so you can pass a few out to your friends, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home