Friday, March 31, 2006

Products of the Jura


What, specifically, are these products? Here's a few, all of which are terrific and delicious and will make your life whole :
1. Comte cheese.
2. Wine.
3. Lumber - a good amount of oak, actually.
4. Eyeglasses - there's factories in the haut-jura.
5. Umm.... fir-tree flavored stuff. No joke - I have a bottle of fir-tree sodypop in my fridge right now.
6. Oh, honey, maybe. A bunch of people around here keep bees.
7. Walnuts.

One might also include:
8. General merrymaking



I'm pleased to report that classes are not classes due to the protests. Needless to say, though, most kids aren't showing up. I had two classes, out of four - one of them was four girls from a group of 15. Oh well, I got out early and was able to enjoy this stunning spring day.



I walked around for about 3 hours, just wandering paths and listening to my public radio programs, which I download every week. In case you're interested, I have a subscription to This American Life, Re:sound, Living on Earth, and Speaking of Faith. With the recent onslaught of bird chirpiness, I haven't been bringing my iPod on my walks, but it's fun to get caught up on my listening during walks like these.



I found myself up at Chamole, the village on top of the cliff, just east of town. There's a little platform you can walk up to get a really amazing view of, well, everything, since you're at the highest point in the immediate area. Today was very clear, so I could see Mont Blanc!


This evening, I had the pleasure of watching "The Squid and the Whale," which Jim so kindly sent to me. In addition to my favorite public radio programs and products of the Jura, I highly recommend this movie. I wouldn't strongly suggest fir-tree flavored things, though... it's a bit of an aquired taste. For cleaning supplies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home