Sunday, November 06, 2005

pounding the gravel

Since gyms and yoga don't really exist in this part of france, and since I have become certifiably neurotic about exercise (but in an endearing way, of course) I decided when I came here that I must walk! every day! to every place imaginable!

It turns that I don't need to worry. (Yet.) Yes, I eat more bread than before, definitely with more butter, but I still don't eat much cheese, sweetmeats, entrails, croissants, everything else that the french enjoy and manage to consume in moderation. Really, my eating is no different here, since I always cook for myself, and if anything it's healthier, since I don't have an oven for microbaking*.

By the time I realized this, I had already become accustomed to my daily walk. Now, instead of being neurotic about exercise, I've become neurotic about walking in the country! A more respectable neurosis!

This is the walk I most often take. It's on a path north of town, winding through hills covered in vines, fields, and forest. After 45 minutes, you find yourself in another little town.




















*Microbaking, if you are curious, is the method that Jim, a master of all things microbakened, has taught me. First, you preheat the oven to 450, or some other high temperature, with the baking sheet in the oven. After 15 minutes, you microwave a frozen thing for about half the needed time. Then, you put the half-cooked thing (say, french fries, since those are best) on to the hot sheet with a satisfying little sizzle, then cook in the very-hot oven for 10 minutes or until browned. And crispy. And delicious.

2 Comments:

At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, Rod! Usher really is Kelly's favorite, second to Matchbox 20. She usually goes through BGM or Columbia House for her tunes, though -- 12 CDs for only a penny!

Plus, you get to put the album cover stickers, of the CDs you want, onto the order form. Too fun!!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Josie said...

Rod, I think the important question is - do you have a lot of Smashmouth?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home