Saturday, April 29, 2006

Provence: france, but better

As I mentioned, the first time I came to France, the majority of the trip was spent in the south. We saw the country at a really heady, gorgeous time in June, when all of the lavender and poppies spread out on fields.

This time, I was a bit early. Luckily, there were just as many flowers - they were just found on trees, instead of the ground.

So, these are my first two days on the trip. Most of day One was spent on the train or wandering around Montelimar, a wholly unremarkable small french city, just the same as any other unremarkably small french city. Dieulefit is a seriously small town -- in the middle of nowhere, but somehow picked to survive as a upscale touristy town. Granted, it's pre-tourist season, so it was pretty quiet. On that day, I took a long walk (around 7 hours) to another town. It, of course, was a gorgeous and senic path. Unfortunately, I lost my GR (grand randonee) markers about halfway there, so four hours were on pretty-yet-hum country roads.

Here are some of the things I saw:




















(a final note...I'm not exactly sure why, but this is one of my favorite pictures that i've ever taken. right as i got the shot, even, i thought, 'oh yes. this one is good.' so thank you, picture, for not disappointing me.)


o

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home